There is no definite way to know how many calories in a piece of cake. Cakes have a plethora of variations such as sponge cakes, carrot cakes with cream cheese frosting, chocolate cakes, and so much more. It is difficult to determine how many calories in one slice of cake. There is no way we can reduce that in one figure.
Eating a lot of cake is not healthy. However, it can be part of a balanced diet if you have your weight under control. You do not have to deprive yourself of life’s sweetest pleasures to be slim and athletic. Remember, you can still be a health buff without sacrificing these tempting desserts such as cake. This is why it is good to know how many calories in a piece of cake.
Calories in Different Cakes: How Many Calories in a Piece Of Cake
Cakes can make any occasion a lot sweeter, but they can be high in fat and sugar. This is why you should only eat cake often, and not make it a part of your regular diet. Eating too much food with fats and processed sugars can lead to chronic inflammation that will eventually lead to heart issues, strokes, and diabetes.
Cakes can make any occasion a lot sweeter, but they can be high in fat and sugar. This is why you should only eat cake in moderation, and not make it a part of your regular diet. Eating too much food with fats and processed sugars can lead to chronic inflammation that will eventually lead to heart issues, strokes, and diabetes. These calorie counts are important in keeping track of your health and staying in good shape. And while there is a widespread of fad diets and statistics on the internet for different diet programs, simply knowing the calorie content of what you eat can help you create a healthier eating habit.
Various types of cakes have different calorie counts. Here are some of the most common kinds of cakes that you might see on the buffet table or even your fridge.
- One slice of Sponge Cake (110 calories)
- One slice of Pineapple Upside-down Cake (367 calories)
- One slice of Cinnamon Coffee Cake (263 calories)
- One slice of Pound Cake (109 calories)
- One slice of Angel Food Cake (72 calories)
- One slice of Plain Cheesecake (257 calories)
- One slice of Carrot Cake with icing (342 calories)
- One slice of Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting (537 calories)
- One slice of Yellow Cake with chocolate frosting (546 calories)
Here’s a tip. Fluffy and light cakes such as Sponge cake and Angel Food cake are low in calories and are enough to satisfy your sweet tooth. If you are on a diet, you can go for these instead of ones with high calories.
You may also check the USDA database to know the calorie count of other cakes, as well as other desserts and food. Read the ingredient list so that you know how many calories in a piece of cake and other highly processed desserts you need to avoid. Saturated fats, added sugar and preservatives are all unhealthy additions that you should deal away with.
There is no definite way to know how many calories in a piece of cake. However, you can decrease sugar and fat in some of your cake recipes by using substitutions instead when baking. These substitutes will not significantly affect the texture and taste of your cake.
- You can replace your regular milk chocolate with dark chocolate. The latter is antioxidant-rich and is good for your health.
- Instead of using half cups of sugar, start using three-fourths instead. This will reduce sugar and calories without affecting the taste significantly. You may use stevia as a low-calorie option. Make up for the lack of sweetness with spices or vanilla.
- Instead of two cups of all-purpose flour, use one cup of whole wheat or almond flour to increase fiber and nutritional content.
- Use half a cup of oil or half a cup of unsweetened applesauce instead of one cup of oil to reduce fat.
- Instead of the usual amount of eggs you use along with your other ingredients, use only three-fourths of it to lower saturated fat and cholesterol.
- There are various options for cooking oil that you can use in a cake. However, canola oil is the healthiest choice. It is rich in omega-6 fatty acids and low in saturated fat. Moreover, this oil can also protect against heart disease and diabetes.
- Another uncommon tip you may try is to eat your cake first before any meal. If you eat an indulgent dish before a meal, you will consume fewer calories since you already satisfied your temptations. Eating a healthy meal first will give you a license to overindulge after.
There is no definite measure as to how many calories in a piece of cake. Nevertheless, it is always better to take care of your health and not consume too many calories. You should not deprive yourself of life’s simplest pleasures as well by avoiding cake permanently. You may have a few bites here and there but keep everything in moderation. Find out more about cakes.