Back in the olden days, people used to eat bread that were tough and hard to swallow. Thankfully, we are no longer in the old days, and we can enjoy eating soft, warm, and freshly baked bread. Today, I will teach you how to keep bread soft when baking and how to bake one kind of bread that everybody loves, especially during parties: dinner rolls.
How to Bake Soft Dinner Rolls
1. Prepare the Ingredients and Equipment
Learning how to keep bread soft when baking is not an easy task. It needs patience and precision. Also, you need to prepare your ingredients ahead of time so that you can get your job done on time and correctly.
- A tablespoon of dry, active yeast,
- Half a cup of warm water,
- Half a cup of milk,
- A large egg,
- Two tablespoons of vegetable oil,
- Two tablespoons of granulated sugar,
- A teaspoon of salt,
- Three cups of all-purpose flour,
- Cooking spray, and
- A tablespoon of unsalted butter
Now that you have all the ingredients, here is the equipment that you need to prepare learning how to keep the bread soft when baking.
- A Mixer,
- A sharp knife,
- Parchment paper or cooking paper, and
- A 9 by 15 baking dish
Knowing all the equipment and the ingredients that you need, let us proceed to the steps of how to keep bread soft when baking for diner tolls.
2. The Dough
- Grab a bowl and add the yeast and the warm water,
- After stirring, let it sit and dissolve,
- In another bowl, pour the milk,
- Add the egg,
- Add the oil,
- Add sugar,
- Add salt,
- Whisk them all together,
- Add this second bowl to the first bowl with the yeast mixture,
- Add all the flour, and then stir to combine and create a dough.
- Knead the dough slowly against the counter for 8 to 10 minutes,
- Put the kneaded dough into a bowl and cover it with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap,
- Leave the dough to rise in a warm spot until it doubles in volume,
- Grab some flour and dust your workspace with it,
- Put the dough into the flour,
- Using the knife or a scraper, divide the dough into 12 pieces,
- To shape them into dinner rolls, tuck the edges under to form into dinner rolls,
- Roll them on your palms until they are round.
- Line the baking dish with parchment or cooking paper,
- Spray it with cooking spray,
- Arrange the shaped rolls into the cooking dish leaving space in between each one,
- Let it sit and let the dough rise for 30 to 40 minutes until they turn into pillow rolls,
- Preheat the oven into 375 degrees Fahrenheit,
- Brush the rolls with butter; this will help make the tops brown and the crust soft,
- Bake the rolls for 15 to 18 minutes till they turn golden brown,
- Pick up the edges of the parchment paper and lift the rolls from the baking dish to wire rack,
- Let it cool.
However, these dinner rolls can also be stored in the fridge for three months, and reheat when you want to eat it. You can also bake the dinner rolls on rimmed baking sheets if you don’t want to have torn edges. You can line the baking sheet with parchment paper and make sure to space the rolls just a few inches apart. You have to eat these rolls within a day or two to enjoy the softness of the bread.
You have to follow the instructions above carefully on how to keep the bread soft when baking dinner rolls—learning how to keep the bread soft when baking is effortless. There are just some things that you need to make sure after baking. Those are the tips and tricks for you to learn how to keep the bread soft when baking. You can use these tricks when you are baking other types of bread. Find out more about breads.