Baking cakes is a great amazing experience, and what makes it a complete one is putting the icing or frosting on it. We all know that your frosting can make or break your cake. In this article, I will tell you how to make whipped cream frosting for cakes. Not only that, but you will also learn the other types of cake frosting and one favorite recipe of mine that uses whipped cream cake frosting. Read on!
Types of Cake Frostings
As I mentioned, the frosting can make or break your cake. Some people can be too nitpicky, especially on frosting texture. So before anything else, let me introduce you to the different types of frosting you can use for cakes. Here are the general categories of cake frostings:
- Buttercream frosting: This is the most common type of cake frosting. It is made of butter and sugar. It sometimes uses eggs as well to give it a smooth and airy consistency. You can also add any flavor and color to it!
- Ganache: This frosting is just chocolate melted in heavy cream.
- Glaze: This is the simplest type of cake frosting. It is made of powdered sugar and water to give it a thin consistency. The glaze is poured over cakes and pastries, and when it sets, it hardens into a shiny crust.
- Cooked frosting: This frosting is made by heating sugar, water, and corn syrup, then pour this into a bowl of meringue. It is commonly called as the seven-minute frosting.
- Royal icing: This is hard and brittle cake frosting for cakes and cookies. You can make it using powdered sugar, egg whites, and water.
- Whipped cream frosting: This is made with powdered or granulated sugar, whipped cream, and flavoring. I will teach you how to whipped cream frosting for the cake next!
How to Make Whipped Cream Frosting for Cake
Before we go on how to make whipped cream frosting for cake, get these ingredients ready first:
- 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of powdered or granulated sugar (it all depends on you how much sugar you will be adding)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla; or you can have variations of rose water, orange blossom water, or espresso powder
- Mascarpone cheese
Once you have those, let us start doing your whipped cream frosting. You have to remember that you do not need to rush in making your whipped cream frosting. Rushing it will make your frosting to firm and will crumble quickly over time. On how to make whipped cream frosting for cake, follow these tips:
- Put your 2 cups of cold heavy whipping cream in the mixer bowl.
- Make sure the whisk attachment is installed.
- Turn on your mixer and set it to low speed (1 or 2 for other mixers). The reason for the low speed is to make a soft but firm frosting.
- Pour in your powdered or granulated sugar slowly into the bowl.
- Then add the flavoring of your choice. If you want a coffee-flavored frosting, add the espresso powder.
- Keep whisking it for 10 to 15 minutes until your whipping cream is soft and firm.
- Whisk it more manually until you get the texture you desire.
To add an option, I will teach you a secret ingredient that will make your frosting firmer and tastier: Mascarpone cheese! Just add this to your mixer bowl with the whipping cream, mix it for around 10 seconds, then fold your cream more with the use of a spatula. Do not do this if you are going to make a white whipped cream cake. The Mascarpone cheese will give your frosting a yellowish color. Now you know how to make whipped cream frosting for cake.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Strawberry Whipped Cream Frosting
The chocolate cupcakes with strawberry whipped cream frosting is one of my favorite cupcake recipes! It is as easy as making pancakes, to be honest. Here is what you need:
- 1 box of instant chocolate cake mix
- 2 cups of heavy cold whipped cream
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 sachet of strawberry jello powder
Do your strawberry whipped cream frosting, as discussed above. Bake your instant cake mix as instructed in the box. Set the cupcakes to cool once done. Then, with your piping bag, top your cupcakes with the delicious and firm strawberry whipped cream frosting. You can even sprinkle candies to add more visual appeal. Know more about cake frostings.
Now you know how to make whipped cream frosting for cake. You are ready to dominate your birthday parties with the recipe I taught you. Just remember, do not over whisk your whipped cream because it may become too grainy and result in a bad cake frosting. Also, keep in mind, you have to be patient in making your perfect whipped cream cake frosting. Rushing it will surely ruin it. Always remember that!