Mornings are short but very precious. The morning vibe can be carried through the day by having a quick, healthy and delicious family breakfast. An easy egg fixture is popular in many kitchens, all thanks to its affordability. They add up as a whole meal to be taken for any meal.
If you’re one of those folks whose breakfast rarely excludes an egg, worry less for a well-crafted omelet can push them till the next meal. This short piece of writing explains the basics on how to make an omelet with bacon, alongside one of my best recipes.
But because I know you must be scanning through the content for the recipe, I’ll share it first anyway. With just a few slices of your favorite bacon and some eggs, you are ready to start making yourself a hearty meal.
Bacon Omelet Recipe
Bacon omelet is deliciously sweet and irresistible! With just a few tricks, you could have anyone salivating on this omelet. Simply follow through this simple recipe.
Recipe makes: 1 serving
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Calories per ingredient:
- 94 calories of fresh raw egg
- 43.5 calories of 1 slice bacon
- 66 calories of gouda cheese
- 2 calories of pepper for 1 tablespoon
- 6 calories milk 1%(0.50 oz)
- 4 calories of onions for 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Calories 215.5
- Total fat 18.0g
- Cholesterol 308.8mg
- Sodium 449.1 mg
- Potassium 272.0 mg
- Carbohydrate 5.0
- Dietary fiber 0.9g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 17.5g
What you will need
- Spatula/ fork
- An omelet pan
- Gas stove
- Paper towels
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- ¼ finely chopped onions
- 1 slice turkey bacon
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- Some pepper
- Cooking spray/ grease
- Collect all that will be needed in your preparation area so you can ease the whole cooking process.
- Place a proper omelet pan, preferably a non-stick skillet onto the gas stove. Heat the pan over medium heat and add your bacon to the pan. Leave it to cook for 5 minutes, until it is browned. Keep turning it with a fork so it gets crispy.
- After the bacon is well cooked, transfer it to a paper towel, pour out any excess bacon oil on the skillet and return it onto the gas stove.
- Once the turkey bacon has cooled down, chop it into small pieces.
- Turn your gas stove to low heat and pour the onions onto the skillet to cook for 10 minutes. Keep stirring them as you cook till they are well caramelized. When ready, transfer the onions into a bowl and set them aside.
- Beat your eggs, egg whites, milk, black pepper, and any other seasonings you might want to use into a bowl. Whisk them till they are well combined.
- Coat your skillet with cooking grease and let it cover the entire bottom part. Pour the egg mixture and let it cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- After your eggs form a firm cooked skin, sprinkle your bacon, chopped onions, and shredded cheese into a half side of the omelet.
- Fold the other half of the omelet over the one with bacon such that the bacon, onions, and cheese are between the folds.
- Cook until your egg is fully cooked. Be keen to check the inside of the omelet to ensure it is well dried.
- There you have your omelet! You can then place it on a plate and serve with fresh fruit or whole-grain toast.
Enjoy it while it is still hot!
How To Make Your Bacon Omelet Healthier
Although the bacon omelet is delicious, we cannot ignore the fact that it is loaded with unhealthy calories. There has been no rule that you cannot make it more nutritious during preparation. Check out some of the things you can incorporate to make your bacon omelet rich in vitamins, proteins, and fiber.
Cook in healthy fats
Some people would go for the processed fats like vegetable oil, which are okay to use. However, they are quite unhealthy, especially when used in large amounts. If you have no other option other than butter and vegetable oil, try as much to use the least amount as possible. Healthier oil options you can try are coconut oil, olive oil, canola oil, or mustard oil.
Go for the right seasonings
Not only do seasonings add new flavor to your omelet but are also great in boosting your health. Pepper, cumin are great additions, however, trying ground chia seeds of flax seeds, bell peppers, and black beans can be more filling. That way, your energy levels to start the day are spiked to a whole new level.
Add healthy eat and cheese
Some cheeses can be bad but there are good ones alike. The cheese you choose will definitely depend on your preference. Healthy cheese options rich in calcium and protein include Swiss cheese and cottage cheese. If you are a lover of those strongly flavored cheese, you can go for goat cheese or feta cheese.
Also, instead of going for the red meats, you can add shredded chicken to your omelet.
Increase the proteins in it
Did you know that protein aid in weight loss? So if you are looking forward to shedding some bits of kilos, why not add some white mushrooms to your omelet? Proteins also aid in gaining muscle mass and keep you feeling fuller for longer periods. So add up more quinoa into that omelet to spike the protein power to help jumpstart the day.
Thinly sliced red meats like chicken breast, sausage, ham can be laid onto the omelet before folding it.
Add vegetables to your bacon omelet
To balance out the nutrition in your bacon omelet, add some fiber, minerals, and vitamins by adding vegetables to it. Carrots, spinach, zucchini, celery, and broccoli are perfect additions to an omelet.
You can choose to add the vegetables directly to the omelet or stir fry the vegetables to stuff them in tour omelet.
If you do not have time to chop the vegetables, you can always freeze a bag of mixed vegetables. From spring salads, arugula to lettuce, these veggies give a healthy and delicious omelet.
There it is! Easy to prepare but very delicious. You can prepare this omelet for breakfast or even lunch. Note that you can try using seasonings of your choice to bring out the most delicious flavors that you love. So go ahead and try this delicious recipe. Visit KitchenFact for more recipes. Find out more recipes here.