Are you trying to save up from over-using parchment paper? Want mess-free baking pans? Want a reusable and easy-to-clean baking sheet? Well, you might want to start using a silicone baking sheet. How do you use a silicone baking sheet, you ask? Well, in this article, you will learn what silicone baking sheets are, are they safe to use, what they are used for, how they are used, and how to clean and store them. Trust me, using one of these is very beneficial when you bake in your kitchen. Read on!
What is a Silicone Baking Sheet?
A silicone baking sheet is made of high quality, food-grade silicone, and fiberglass. These silicone baking sheets come in different shapes and sizes. It is often used to cover cookie sheets when baking and perfect for baking messy pastries because of non-stick quality. I used this when I ran out of parchment paper when I bake cookies and pastries. I also use this when I get tired of oiling my pans before I bake. It is easy to wash off, and it is reusable. So not only does a silicone baking sheet save time, but it also saves your money and reduces your waste of parchment paper!
Are Silicone Baking Sheet Safe?
Definitely! Silicone baking sheets are safe for baking. You have to take note that the temperature limit of a silicone baking sheet is 428 degrees Fahrenheit. It can withstand that heat, and it can also withstand temperature in the freezer. However, always keep in mind when purchasing a silicone baking sheet is that you buy it from a trusted and well-known manufacturer. Low-quality silicone baking sheets may contain toxins that are harmful to your health when it is heated or cooled. So before learning how do you use a silicone baking sheet, you have to buy a well-manufactured one.
Uses of a Silicone Baking Sheet
Also, before we answer the question: “How do you use a silicone baking sheet.” Let me enumerate to you the different ways you can use a silicone baking sheet. Here are some of them:
- As mentioned, you can replace your parchment paper or aluminum foils with this.
- A silicone baking sheet can help keep your baking pans clean.
- You can even use this on a countertop when you want to knead bread or roll out cookie dough.
- You can put it on a tray to heat the food inside your oven.
- You can also use this to cover your baked goodies in the oven to make sure they rise evenly.
- You can place your silicone baking sheet under a cake ring to keep your cake batter from sticking to the pan.
Many manufacturers of silicone baking sheets live up to their non-stick label. But you can also grease or spray oil on your silicone sheets before placing dough on them for easy removal when your baked goodies are freshly done in the oven. Silicone baking sheets also keep the mess of your cookie doughs at bay, or you can use those that have cutouts.
How Do You Use a Silicone Baking Sheet?
As mentioned, silicone baking sheets have multiple uses, but how do you use a silicone baking sheet? Well, I am here to teach you some of the tricks I learned from using a silicone baking sheet for years. Here are some of them:
- When you are baking cookies or a cake, lay the silicone baking sheet flat on your baking pan.
- If you are worried about your goodies sticking, spray your silicone baking sheet with non-stick spray before placing the goodies on it.
- Also, you should use a non-insulated pan when baking, and use the baking sheet to cover your cookies for a uniform result.
- When you work on surfaces, you can place your silicone baking sheet on the countertop for kneading bread.
Things You Should Not Do
Silicone baking sheets are a great baking tool, and you have to take good care of your kitchen utensils. Here are things you should not do to your silicone baking sheets:
- Never use a knife directly on your silicone baking sheet. You do not want to cut it!
- Never place it directly on heat, like your griller or broiler.
- Never store it bent or folded in half!
Cleaning And Storing Your Silicone Baking Sheet
Now that you know how do you use a silicone baking sheet, it is time for me to teach you the hacks in cleaning and storing them!
- Wash it with hot water first. Not boiling water, just hot water.
- Spread baking soda over the whole silicone baking sheet.
- Pour in some lemon juice.
- With your scrub, start working on your sheet gently for the grease to be removed.
- Set it for 10 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- Air-dry it.
- You can store it flat.
- What I like, though, is rolling it over with a clean towel
Now that you know the answer to: “How do you use a silicone baking sheet?” I am sure you are ready to start experimenting in the kitchen. Also, you can surely breathe easier now that you have a silicone baking sheet. It is simple to use, easy to clean and store, and has multiple functions.
However, you have to be careful in finding the perfect silicone baking sheets. You do not want to suffer from health problems in the long run because of bad and low-quality silicone baking sheets. So always check the labels if they are safe and are manufactured by trusted brands. It is a nice investment in the kitchen, and you can reuse it without having to waste too much parchment paper. Know more about baking sheets.