This is a unique cupcake with a beautiful aroma of lilac. It is perfect for a Spring cupcake wedding or baby shower. It was created by Diary of a Mad Haus Fraus for the Bella Cupcake Couture Blog Party. She decorated her cupcakes with our Pink & Yellow floral cupcake wrappers.
Lilac Vanilla Bean Cupcake Recipe
For the full recipe details with instructions visit HERE
- 2+1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup lilac sugar (recipe follows)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons lilac syrup (recipe follows)
- 1 cup fresh lilac blossom (rinse well and pat dry with paper towels)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place liners in two cupcake pans.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugars until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Beat in vanilla bean paste and lilac syrup.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternating a bit at a time.
- Add in fresh lilac blossoms and incorporate thoroughly.
- Place a disposable pastry bag (or ziplock bag with a corner snipped off) in a large drinking glass.
- Fill the bag with batter and fill the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
For the Lilac Syrup:
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- One cup Water
- 1+1/2 cups fresh lilac blossoms
- A few drops of purple food coloring (optional)
- Rinse the lilac blossoms well and gently pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the f lowers sugar and water together in a saucepan and heat on low.
- when mixture starts to boil turn the heat down to low and simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Stir in the food coloring if desired
- Remove from heat, strain out the flowers and let cool completely.
- Place in sealed jar and store in a cool dark place.
For the Lilac Sugar:
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup lilac blossoms rinsed and patted dry
- In a canning jar or a jar fitted with a tight lid layer the sugar and lilac blooms one after another in the jar until almost full.
- Place in a cook dark place.
- Remove and shake the jar occasionally until ready to use.
For the Lilac Vanilla Buttercream:
- Two sticks (1/2 pound) butter, room temperature
- 8 cups confectionary/powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup lilac syrup
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Cream together the butter, 2 cups of the sugar the syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add the rest of the sugar one cup at a time.
- Add the cream and blend throughly.
- You can add more syrup or cream a little at a time if the buttercream seems too thick.
- Place a disposable pastry bag fitted with the tip of your choice in a large water glass and fold the edge over.
- Load the buttercream into the bay with a rubber spatula.
- Clip the end or seal with a rubber band and frost the cupcakes