Make your Holiday baking Healthier
It is the holiday time and also the time to put on your baking gloves. But then are you worried if it will increase your family's calorie intake... Don't worry! You can bake and stay healthy, and it is a good idea for edible gifts!. Let me share with you some cool tips which will help you bake a healthy and yummy way.
Let's start with Flour
White flour is the most important ingredient and let's get started on the healthy way of baking by taking that of the baking ingredient list.
- Oat flour is naturally gluten-free, but then be sure to pick up gluten-free oats or gluten-free flour. Oat flour is also rich in fiber.
- Almond flour is again naturally gluten-free, and it is packed with protein, fiber, and vitamin B, and magnesium. You can use Almond flour to prepare pancakes, cookies, scones, and biscuits.
- Coconut flour which is made from dried, ground coconut is rich in healthy fats, fiber, and protein. Also, it is a gluten-free flour and rich in antioxidants. Coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid, which may dry out some baked goods. So it is advisable to add 1 egg per 32 grams of coconut flour while baking.
- People who can't have wheat flour can use Quinoa flour. Quinoa is rich in protein and can be used to make muffins, pancakes, and bread.
Opt for Natural Sweeteners
Granulated sugar is the one we will opt for normally as it can trap and hold moisture and give it the perfect brown color, but then it is not healthy. So then this time let's bring in some natural sweeteners.
- Maple syrup or Maple crystals can help you bake the perfect recipe. Also, they are loaded with minerals, including calcium, potassium magnesium, manganese, and phosphorus. In place of every cup of sugar, you can use 3/4 cup of Maple syrup or Maple crystals. Maple syrup can make the baked product brown quicker, so it is advisable to lower the oven temperature by 25 degrees Fahrenheit.
Coconut palm sugar also called coconut sugar is lower on the glycemic index and high in amino acids. In place of every cup of sugar, you can use the same amount of coconut sugar.
- Another popular alternative is Stevia, which is 200 to 300 times sweeter than regular sugar and has a zero glycemic index. You can use 1 spoonful of Stevia in place of one cup of Sugar.
- Date Paste made from raw dates can be used in place of sugar. It will make your baked product nutrient-rich. Also, it will give the finished product a perfect brown color.
Give butter and oil a miss this time
According to the American Heart Association, the fat found in butter can raise LDL ("bad") cholesterol, which can up your chances of developing heart ailments. We have already decided to give flour and sugar a miss this time. To this list let's add butter and oil too.
- Unsweetened Apple sauce is the best candidate. Apple sauce will provide natural sweetness and some extra moisture. Your baked goods, especially bread, cakes, and muffins will come out the best as it does with butter.
- If you are preparing chocolate recipes then you can use Mashed avocado. The creamy texture and mild flavor of Avocado will go very well with bittersweet chocolate. Also, the dark color of chocolate will completely mask avocado's green color.
- Mashed banana is another ingredient that you can use to replace butter. Banana has the creaminess of avocado and sweetness of apple sauce. Also, it is rich in potassium which helps in blood sugar regulation.
One could also try fig, prune, plum, or pear puree in place of butter depending on what kind of recipe you are planning to follow.
Knock off eggs
When we plan to replace eggs, we must be sure that the new ingredient should bring in the same moisture, protein, and fats as eggs. Also, it should gel well with flour, sugar, and butter substitutes.
- Aquafaba which is the liquid from cooking beans is a popular egg substitute. It has a good amount of carbohydrates, proteins, and can quickly develop foam, bind, gelatinize, and thicken like an egg.
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds and 3 tablespoons of water is equivalent to one egg. To make ground flaxseed, just combine flaxseed and water and allow it to rest for 5 minutes. You could also use chia seeds in place of flax seeds.
If you are just starting with healthy baking you need not replace all regular ingredients with a healthy one but could start with one or two. Also, keep in mind that you must choose the appropriate substitute based on the recipe. Happy Holidays and Stay Blessed.
Visit Science and Samosa to know more on how to lead a healthy lifestyle.
April 3, 2021
By: Amanda Sunny
Frozen crusts have a long shelf life as they can stay on the freezer for as long as two months. Every baking savvy or beginner knows
April 2, 2021
By: Carmen Dana
Pumpkin pie without a crust is the new twist to the traditional pumpkin pie baking. Crustless pumpkin pies have gluten-free