How To Make Mini Cakes For Your Next Party
Miniature cakes are the newest trend in the baking world. You can make it in any flavor. Plus, you can design any way you want. With their little sizes, you can pop them in your mouth in one piece and enjoy the flavors in one go. In this article, you will learn how to make mini cakes easily. Just ready your mini cake pans, your utensils, and your ingredients.
Things You Need
Firstly, on how to make mini cakes, you will need your baking tools, like your whisks, measuring spoons, trays, cookie cutters, spatulas, mixing bowls, and, of course, your oven.
Dry Ingredients for Mini Cakes
- 1 cup of flour
- 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Wet Ingredients for Mini Cakes
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Food coloring (red, pink, brown, etc.)
- Candy quick (melted)
Let’s Make Your Mini-Cakes
So, you ask me: “How to make mini cakes?” Well, once you have all your ingredients, you are perfectly ready to start making them! You can even put in some coloring to have a variety of flavors!
Of course, every cake has a batter to start with, and it is easy to make. Here is how you do a smooth and lump-free batter:
- In your mixing bowl, whisk all your dry ingredients thoroughly.
- In another mixing bowl, place in the butter into the milk.
- Microwave your wet ingredients at 30 seconds intervals until butter is melted through. Mix it well.
- Add your vanilla extract.
- Pour your wet ingredients onto your bowl of dry ingredients.
- Mix them properly until lumps are gone.
- You now have your batter!
Now that you have your batter, it’s time to make your mini cakes! Here is how you do it:
- While preparing your batter, you should pre-heat your oven 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour batter into your mini cake pan. If you do not have one, you can pour the batter into a sheet tray and cut round cakes after.
- Place your mini cake pan into the oven. Wait for 11 to 12 minutes.
- Once baked, cut off the muffin tops to level the cakes off.
- Flip the mini cakes onto a cutting board.
Variety of Cakes
You can also put in different flavors if you do not like the plain, yellow cake. Just make sure you do it before baking them. Here is how:
- For Chocolate Cake, in one or two molds in your mini cake pan, mix in cocoa powder or brown gel-based food coloring.
- For Red Velvet, add a bit of cocoa powder, then red food coloring.
- For Funfetti Cake, add candy sprinkles.
- For Pink Cake, add pink food coloring!
After baking and flipping your mini cakes on your cutting board, it is time to put in the frosting or glaze them. Here is how you do it:
- Slice the mini cakes in half horizontally. If you want to make a checkerboard cake, you can cut out from a chocolate cake and vanilla cake their centers using a cookie cutter, then switch them, forming a bull’s eye pattern.
- Fill them with frosting. I can recommend you use a popsicle stick to spread your frosting evenly. You can even do crumb-coating around the edge.
- After filling them all with frosting, you can now glaze them with the melted candy quick. Using buttercream is difficult due to the size of the cakes. You can also do a mirror-glazed look by adding a few drops of oil-based food coloring to your candy quick, mix it, then pour it quickly on the cake.
Finally, you reached the most fun part of how to make mini cakes, the decoration! It all depends on you what you are going to put on your mini cakes. You can design it with edible ink markers, shell frostings, blooms, sprinkles, or even melted chocolate. You can put in all the creative ideas you have!
Now you know how to make mini cakes! The best part of it is that you can also do your designs and decorations. Beginner or not, making mini cakes is not difficult at all! You only need that fun and dedicated spirit.
Always keep in mind that you have to prepare all the ingredients needed for baking success. You should also have your tools ready at arm’s length. With all those in mind, I’m sure you are ready to perk up celebrations with your friends and family!
August 4, 2020
By: Paul Sutton
The main ingredients for making muffins can be usually found in any well-stocked pantry, but when you get that muffin craving, do you suddenly find that you do not have a muffin pan?