How To Bake A Cake In The Microwave: 3 Super Easy Cake Recipes
Do you feel like baking a cake, but you don’t have a gas or electric oven? Worry not, because you can still bake using your microwave as an alternative to conventional baking. You can bake a whole cake in your microwave for big parties or make cute cakes in a coffee mug for a small, sweet treat. Read on, and let’s find out how to bake cake in microwave.
Baking a Whole Cake and a Mug Cake
Using a microwave, you can bake a whole cake or a mug cake. Both take simple recipes, and both only take minutes to bake. You only need the necessary ingredients to start them off. To serve a group, you can bake a whole cake. But if you got that instant craving for a dessert, bake a mug cake. A mug cake is a cake that is made in a mug; it has become popular in the past years. Here's how to bake cake in microwave. Here are the simple steps.
Baking a Whole Cake in the Microwave
The steps in baking a whole cake in your microwave are simple and very doable. Let’s check this recipe for a family-sized chocolate cake that you will bake. You will need the following ingredients:
- 3/4 cups margarine
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Mix the cake batter. Combine 3/4 cup of softened butter or margarine with 3/4 cup sugar and 2/3 cup flour in a large bowl. Stir together with a spoon or spatula. If you don’t have self-rising flour, you may use regular flour, but the cake will have a texture like that of a brownie.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Now, pour in three tablespoons of milk. Crack the medium eggs, and add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. You can use whole, fat-free, or any type of milk that you prefer.
- Flavor the cake. Because you are making a chocolate cake, add 1/3 cup of cocoa powder. To make a vanilla cake, add another teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Mix. Stir the ingredients well with a fork or use an electric mixer to mix for about 4-5 minutes or until it becomes smooth.
- Spoon the cake batter into a microwave dish. Take note that you never use a metal baking pan for this microwave baking. Use a shallow dish for the best results.
- Bake the cake. On full power, cook the cake in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. The cake will bubble and puff in the microwave just as it would in the oven. Check to see if the cake is already baked by sticking a toothpick down into the center. The toothpick should come out clean. If there is gooey cake residue on the toothpick, put the cake back in the microwave and cook it in 1-minute additions until done.
- Serve and enjoy. Enjoy the taste of your freshly-baked cake! You can top it with frosting and decorate on your own. Desserts come right away if you know how to bake cake in microwave.
Baking a Mug Cake in the Microwave
A mug cake that bakes in under a minute. This microwave mug cake will be the easiest and fastest way to make dessert for one or two, and you won't believe how delicious it would taste. You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- Choose a mug. You may use any mug for your cake. A large and deeper mug will create a softer moister cake, while a smaller shallower mug will make a more firm cake.
- Create the cake mix. It's time to add two tablespoons of brown sugar or honey to your mug. Then, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and then 3 tablespoons of flour.
- Crack an egg into the mug and add butter. After putting an egg, soften a stick of butter on the countertop and scoop a tablespoon into the mug. You may use salted or unsalted butter or margarine.
- Add a tablespoon of chocolate chips. Adding the chocolate chips will make a chocolate-flavored mug cake. But this is optional. If you prefer a vanilla cake, you may instead add a tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Mix it all. Stir up the contents of the mug using a spoon. Stir until the chocolate chips are mixed in, and all the ingredients are combined.
- Bake the mug cake. On full power, put the mug in the microwave for 50 seconds. After 50 seconds, check if the cake is baked by sticking a toothpick straight down into the center. The toothpick should come out clean. If there are some cake residue on the toothpick, put the mug back in the microwave and cook it in 30-second additions until done. Don't overcook it. It shouldn't need to be cooked for longer than two minutes.
- Let the cake sit. Microwaves often don't spread heat as evenly as ovens do. Let the cake sit for one or two minutes after baking, giving time for the heat to spread throughout the mug. Do not remove the mug from the microwave right away. Use a potholder to lift it out.
- Serve and enjoy. Take a spoon and taste your delicious mug cake. If you want to, you may frost and decorate the cake first—master how to bake cake in microwave so you could have your dessert anytime.
After knowing how to bake cake in microwave, for sure, you will have your new obsession. Microwaves are great alternatives to making a step towards becoming the expert baker in you. Just follow the steps I made for you, and you’ll enjoy baking more. Happy baking! Find out more about cake baking.