How Long Do You Bake A Sweet Potato Pie? – Sure-Fire Tips
Sweet potato pie is a perfect and deliciously creamy dessert you can put on your dinner table. It’s a simple combination of evaporated milk, baked sweet potatoes and a blend of spices, plus you can top it with whipped cream. This simple dessert is a staple of classic Southern dessert. While sweet potato pie needs a few sweet potatoes to be cooked, you must also know how long do you bake a sweet potato pie? In this article, we’re going to answer that baking method and give you some tips on how to prepare it.
How Long Do You Bake A Sweet Potato Pie?
Here are the key ingredients of the sweet potato pie recipe to ensure that it tastes perfect.
- Sweet potatoes
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar
- Whole milk or evaporated milk (do not use low-fat milk)
- Vanilla extract
- Cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg
- Cloves and salt
- 9-inch unbaked pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
- You need to preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the soft baked sweet potatoes, melted butter, sugar, evaporated milk, eggs, spices, vanilla, and salt in a wide bowl.
- You can use an electric mixer to whisk the mixture until smooth.
- Put into uncooked 9 “pie crust and bake for 55-60 minutes or until cooked.
- Place the pie in a cool to room temperature before serving. You can top the pie with whipped cream.
You can use a pie shield or cover the pie with foil if the crust starts to brown faster. That’s it, including the ingredients and the process how long do you bake a sweet potato pie, you’d find it easier and faster.
Sweet Potato Pie Toppings
You don’t need any toppings for this specific sweet potato pie recipe. But, I have some ideas for potential flavorful toppings you can add.
- Whip Cream
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Ice Cream
- Cool Whip
You can top your sweet potato pie with a Marshmallow Fluff, and you can strike it with a torch. A dollop of homemade whip cream is the second-best topping choice. It’s the most classic and always a delicious topping for sweet potato pie.
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Pie
Before cooking your pie, it is important to note that you must freeze it. You’ll need to thaw the pie until you bake it fully. If you’re freezing a baked sweet potato pie, it’s going to get soggy. But it’s going to be delicious, but not as lovely as you’ve made it fresh.
It is an alternative version you can try on a sweet potato pie. It’s not just amazingly simple to produce, but it’s also deliciously sweet. Make sure you keep this recipe and know how long do you bake a sweet potato pie, or method near to you because your relatives will urge you to do it again.
Things To Consider: Boiled or Baked Sweet Potatoes
For this sweet potato pie recipe, I highly recommend baking your sweet potatoes. You must also consider how long do you bake a sweet potato pie. When you mash the sweet potatoes, they are usually much drier relative to a baked sweet potato. You can cook the sweet potatoes in the water and boil it on a burner. If you boil the sweet potato, the moisture stays inside.
Another advantage of baking the sweet potatoes is you do not have to mess a huge cooking pot. You’re going to have to keep them on top of the burner while they cook. Just bake the sweet potatoes in the oven with foil and a baking dish. You don’t have to think about it, and it’s simple, hands-off planning time.
If you want to boil your sweet potatoes, you may need to apply some extra butter and milk. Otherwise, it can turn out very dry to the finished dessert. Remember to follow the steps on how long do you bake a sweet potato pie.
Can You Bake Sweet Potato Pie Ahead Of Time
Sweet potato pie is deliciously eaten dry or cooled at room temperature. However, no matter how you want to eat it, you can bake sweet potato pie conveniently up to 24 hours in advance, and no one would know the difference.
How To Store Sweet Potato Pie
- Allow the sweet potato pie to cool off on the counter. When you want to place something too early in the freezer, the crust can break and destroy the rest of the pie.
- Tightly seal the sweet potato pie with saran wrap or a foil and put it in the refrigerator.
You can serve the cold sweet potato pie, reheat a slice in the microwave for 20 seconds to warm it up before serving to the table.
Tips When Baking Sweet Potato Pie
- Bake the sweet potato completely before one week before producing the dessert. Any peeling or chopping needed, at 375 ° F just for an hour.
- Use evaporated milk instead of half-and-half or condensed milk. It brings creaminess and flavor to the texture of a pie.
- Using vanilla extract as the main spice and back it up with tiny amounts of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Nudge the pie when finished. The pie core should have give-in; it should jiggle slightly.
- When finished, the pie has a temperature of 175 degrees Fahrenheit on an instant-read thermometer. A knife inserted into the bottom of the filling will come out damp if you don’t want to check the temperature.
Give your pie 24 hours to cool and rest before cutting for the best results. If you’re on a stricter schedule, the absolute minimum is four hours. This method shows and tells how long do you bake a sweet potato pie faster and flavorful.
Now that you understand how long do you bake a sweet potato pie, you are now confident to freeze it. You know that by freezing the pie, it won’t ruin the taste; thus, it adds flavor. I highly suggest that you try this technique to impress your relatives with your newly found sweet potato pie recipe. Learn more about pies.
February 4, 2021
By: Carmen Dana
Pumpkin pie without a crust is the new twist to the traditional pumpkin pie baking. Crustless pumpkin pies have gluten-free
February 4, 2021
By: Amanda Sunny
Frozen crusts have a long shelf life as they can stay on the freezer for as long as two months. Every baking savvy or beginner knows
February 4, 2021
By: Pamela Hotlock
Pizzas are best for small parties and gatherings. They have different flavors that everybody loves to indulge in.